It was a question asked on Stackoverflow whose answer is as under. The question what he should do for his site, he wanted a website for job, he wanted to create a freelancer website for himself, where he could get some jobs by customers. The following was my answer for him!
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19470831/benefit-of-using-wordpress/19470912 (link, in case question isn’t deleted)
Well, you can use WordPress for your jobs,
- If you donot want to write any code at all 🙂 That’s the biggest and the main benefit.
- If you don’t want to buy any kind of hosting, then you will come to wordpress. That’s the second one.
- You don’t need to worry about bandwidth and Data.
- Its a free CMS (content management system). Which will let you edit your site in the Browser, without having to know about HTML even a little bit.
But at the same time you have many disadvantages of it too.
- You will not be able to edit the template untill or unless you purchase it fully.
- You won’t be able to keep a good note on the stats, wordpress has its own builtin, but I don’t like those!
- You will have to stick to the features of wordpress, suppose you want to let your friends sign in and add comments you will require a Database, but wordpress won’t let you install a new database.
- Emails won’t be allowed to or from any other service.
So what I would recommend you would be to either learn HTML and then start developing your own website and post it to the Net, or you can hire someone to create a website for you! But since you know HTML and are a freelancer, then good! You can create a simple site, with $1 fee and start your website.
You can create as many pages on wordpress too, but creating a website of your own will be much more like it. On wordpress you will be able to start a project which has all of these
- About Page
- Contact Page (only email address and social links can be provided, no forms!)
- And any other page required for the job…
You will be able to add plugins of your own desire, edit the template, edit fonts, or even do what so ever you like. You will be the webmaster of the website having no issue at all in editing or in coding.
You will be able to send and recieve emails too. With wordpress you can’t do that! WordPress won’t let you have an Smtp server, so stoping you from sending emails! But with your own website, when you host it, you will send emails to your customers whenever the job is done! That’s a good feature 🙂
I’m a freelancer too, but that doesn’t mean I should have a wordpress site only. WordPress is a site that provides you a space to blog, you can ask for hires but then again you will have to partner with other sites like PayPal, then you’ll have to manage the Email System using Gmail, then you’ll have to take care of other stuffs too. Which WordPress won’t let you do. But if just want others to know about you, then yes! WordPress is a good option for you. You can create a blog, and simply edit the details on it. Add Privacy, Terms, Pricing and all other stuff that is needed! You won’t have to worry about the bandwidth too.
My Blog on WordPress:
I also have a wordpress blog for myself! Here it is hosted: http://templatesondemand.wordpress.com/
But it doesn’t provide me with any customer at all, because of its lack in features. So on the other hand if I had a website of my own. I would have been hired atleast 5 times since then. So I just left this site as it is by posting vague stuff and adding a contact page only.
So, that’s all that I can tell you! 🙂 Now its you who will have to walk through the way 🙂 .. (Whoa, that was alot of typing! :D..)
Good luck brother.